Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Motivation to Write

The university has a used-book sale every month, and I enjoy going to see what treasures I might find. I end up with many more books than we will ever read, and my husband wonders aloud if I might consider contributing to the sale at some point instead of continually bringing home a big bag of books that I get for two dollars. Some of the books I bring home are ones that I do not know much about; I might recognize an author or the title catches my eye. Many of the books aren't that great, but every once in a while I find a real treasure that delights me and inspires me to write. I just finished Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish. (The illustrations on the cover was what first caught my attention on this one: a windmill, a horse, a cow, and a big red barn.) Though she is writing of a generation before me, there was so much that I could identify with in my own growing up on a ranch in Wyoming. She writes about country life, animals, family, school, gardening, and hard work. I am excited to start writing about my experiences on the family ranch because I have so many wonderful memories of times that have shaped who I am today. This book gave me ideas of how to compose so many different stories and get a start on this project. These memories might not be of interest to anyone else, but it will give me a chance to savor those special times of my childhood and give thanks for the privilege of growing up in the country with an extended family.

No comments:

Post a Comment