Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Abundant Fruits

I walk all around the neighborhood either to and from work or just for daily exercise when I am not in the office.  We live in an older estabilshed area with tree-lined streets and no two houses alike. Landscaping varies so much from one yard to another that each day's walk provides many things to observe and comment on.  This year spring came early with no late frost destroying the blossoms, so all the plants are ahead of their usual schedule for blooming and producing. I enjoy making jelly and jam as well as putting up produce from the garden, so when I see a tree with fruit that no one is using, I can envision jars of sparkling jelly on the counter.  Last year my friend and I noticed an heavily laden cherry tree on our walk to work, and we were able to determine who lived there and ask if they might let us pick cherries.  The homeowners readily agreed and even picked with us on a warm summer evening. I made two batches of cherry jam, my son's new favorite.  Unfortunately this year because if a heavy October snow storm this tree lost at least half of its branches.  With the diminished produce, we did not ask to pick the cherries that we passed each day on the way to work. 

Wishing for cherries for jam this year, I noticed several options.  Surprisingly, there are cherry trees lining the entry way into a local shopping area.  No one is using the fruit, but I had no idea where to even start to ask permission to pick.  I did pick crabapples in a hotel parking lot one year, but all that I had to do then was walk inside the lobby to talk to the manager.  I also noticed two cherry trees in the front yard of a house I frequently pass on my morning walk.  Because I walk early to beat the heat of the day, I have not seen anyone out in the yard, nor do I want to knock on the door so early.  Last week there were even several branches loaded with cherries that had been cut down, and I  thought sadly that here was a bountiful rich crop of cherries that would be wasted.

  This morning, on the Fourth of July, I was a little later on my rounds of the neighborhood because I had been on the phone with family.  As I passed the house, a man was just coming out to get into his car.  I decided to be brave and ask if he would consider letting me pick cherries.  He was very gracious and told me to help  myself and that I could use the ladder just inside the back gate right by the garage.  When I got home, I called my friend and told her that I had found cherries to pick.  Emboldened with the success of that request, I called another neighborhood owner who has an apricot tree so laden with fruit that the branches are touching the ground and nearly breaking.  He also agreed to let us pick fruit in his yard.  We loaded up my ladder in her SUV and went to pick.  We both came away with plenty of cherries to make several batches of jam and a bucket of apricots as well.  As I spent several hours this afternoon pitting cherries, I realize again that not many people want to make the effort it takes to use these fruits, but I appreciate that they are willing to let me pick in their yards.  Canning is time consuming, but the rewards are so sweet.  One batch of deep ruby red cherry jam sits on the counter waiting to share with family, friends and the neighbors who shared with me!

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I love the cherry jam you make too so I am glad you found a new supplier!

    ReplyDelete