Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Books

I love books.  When I was growing up my mom took us by the city library each week when we were in town for groceries, music lessons or other appointments.  I remember being enthralled with The Secret Garden or beautifully illustrated books of fairy tales.  Animal stories of horses, dogs, wolves or other creatures gave me insights into life from an animal's perspective.  Living on the ranch, I could easily imagine these tales of survival and adventure.  I could envision becoming a naturalist who observed and followed various animals in their secret world. Over time, I graduated to reading every Nancy Drew mystery on the shelves, delighting in her various capers. The monthly Scholastic book orders offered opportunity to have my own copies of books as well. I decided to get classics like War and Peace, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and others to read as a sixth grader. I read and enjoyed these books, but looking back I realize that I only brushed the surface in my understanding, in part because of my youth and not having anyone to discuss these with.  However, at the time, that made no difference to me.  Growing up, I spent the evenings in my room reading rather than watching TV with the rest of the family. Being transported to other worlds through the printed page and letting my imagination paint the picture was much better than sitting in front of a black and white TV screen.

 English was my favorite subject in high school giving me opportunity to read and discuss great literature with others and get ideas for new books to read as well.  So English seemed the natural choice for a college major which further broadened my horizons to new authors and ideas. As a high school English teacher, I was the one choosing the reading list for my students and was able to revisit many books I had read as a student.  Each time I re-read a book, I gained a deeper appreciation for the authors' ideas and craft, and I read the books again each year I taught them so the ideas would be fresh in my mind as I taught.  I delighted in seeing my students enjoy and develop an appreciation for literature as well.  Getting a Master's degree in English continued the process of new authors and a greater understanding of their writings.

I no longer teach, but my love of books continues to grow.  Participating in a monthly book club pushes me to read books I would not have considered or known about without the input of others in my group.  I find it stimulating to branch out into new types of literature from what I would normally choose.  Hearing about what others think challenges me in my thought processes.  The University library has a used book sale once a month which is even better than the Scholastic book order.  I find some of the best books there, ones that inspire me in writing and model the craft I so admire.  Finding books about country life or those who pioneered in the West are my favorite finds because these are things I can relate to and understand well. I do love books!

1 comment:

  1. And that love of books trickled down to your children and grandchildren too! I cannot imagine reading Jane Eyre as a sixth grader, but then I guess I was only in eighth grade with her myself. So glad you are translating all that reading into writing now!

    ReplyDelete